Sunday, July 27, 2008

Homemade




When I was a kid homemade was not something I appreciated. I wanted store bought, plastic, and individually wrapped. I liked the macaroni and cheese in the blue box, not the stuff my mom made from scratch. I did not see the point in making your own clothes, growing vegetables in the backyard or cooking at home. Wouldn't you rather eat out and buy for convenience. Thankfully I have gotten over that way of thinking. Through the years I have come to appreciate the things I thought were second rate as a child. It isn't embarassing to wear things you have made. It is actually fun to show off what you have accomplished. It is a great feeling to make something from start to finish. I have discovered that creating is fun.


Often times I wonder why God made earth and people. Knowing how badly things could go it just seems maybe he would have skipped all the trouble. However, when I think about creation I realize what a good time He must have had (and still has) making all things new. Creation is a continual process, everytime a child is born a new creation begins, ready to grow, from start to finish. God must be so proud to show off what he has made. I know I don't always make Him proud but thankfully he looks past the flaws and imperfections.


Above are some of my creations. A diaper bag (this picture is for you Geraldine) and strawberry jam. Although I can't take full credit because the plants are doing the growing I am tending to vegetables that will become food that I will make for my family. Maybe it is motherly instinct but I love that fact that I can make things that will provide and take care of those I love most. Below is the most precious thing I have ever made and the one I am most proud of.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

April Brown said...

I love receiving things that are "homemade" because it means someone took the time to think of me! Send me some homemade jam and I'll send you some dish towels :)

Love your perspective on creation...I've never really thought about the Lord having fun while creating us, but I bet He did!

Hugs and kisses to Edward!

Mom-of-Bean said...

Bag is awesome! Jam looks yummy...funny how we change as we age...I once loved all things Barbie...now I love all things Martha....