Friday, July 4, 2008

Fitzgerald Farms





I think the name is kind of catchy. Too bad our 2 x 4 plot of garden couldn't even feed our family for a week. So this is my third summer attempting to grow a little green in our backyard and things are coming along okay. This year I planted two tomato plants, one Early Girl and one yellow, bell peppers (green, red, and yellow), jalapeno and cherry peppers. I also planted several herbs- rosemary, basil (purple and green), thyme, dill, and cilantro. I have two lavendar plants and two chive plants as well as some mint that come back each year. After two previous attempts at growing cucumbers I opted for something different this year- eggplant. The growing season here is short and everything comes late so I tend to get impatient but I am trying to nurse all my plants along in hopes that they will produce something worth eating. The herbs usually do well although I never can get the cilantro to stick around. I have two tomatos on the Early Girl and the eggplant and peppers are just starting to flower. I love going out early in the morning and inspecting everything, looking for little signs of fruit and running my hands through all the herbs. In my opinion the smell of lavendar and rosemary are two of the best scents in the world.

5 comments:

Mom-of-Bean said...

I pass a giant lavender bush on one of my runs in the morning...I always pull a bit off and do some "aroma theraphy" for the remainder of my run...

Our garden is still more of a "rehab" thing than a "harvest" thing... Miss you!

Angie Davis said...

that's so great. i hope one day to see your little life there.

i would love to have a garden, but our 'backyard' is just asphalt and a dumpster. but then again, i dreamed of one when we had a real backyard, but never did it.

David said...

Too bad you tomato plant is so much smaller than mine!!

Unknown said...

I love the fact that your garden is visible. Lee and I planted our first garden this year and it happens to be HUGE (20 ft X 100ft)!!! Yeah, a little big for newbies. Ours has quickly become a forest. It kind of makes it like a game of hide-n-seek. Who can find the most plants in the midst of the grass? Can't say I'm loving gardening at this point. If we do this again we are certainly going to start small.

April Brown said...

I love cilantro!! I would love to have a garden but I have a dislike for hot weather :) Love the pics of Edward! Could he be any cuter?

love ya girl!!